The portrait of Andrew, 15th Chief, is currently housed at the Clan Macpherson Museum in Newtonmore, Inverness-shire, Scotland.
This 18th century portrait is believed to be the earliest image of a Chief of the Clan Macpherson.
In 1943, the portrait was purchased by the museum at an auction held by Wyllie & Lockhead of Glasgow. It came onto the auction block from the contents of Cluny Castle.
Restoration was conducted by The Conservation Studio in Edinburgh, Scotland, and included thorough cleaning, adjusting of the canvas, removal of discolored varnish and previous re-touchings, filling of seal and texture losses, retouching, re-varnishing, and frame conservation.
Photos below illustrate the portrait being restored, and the final product upon completion of the restoration.
In 2008, American Friends of British Art covered the entire cost of this project with a donation of $2,000.00 USD.