Known as “Old Cluny”
This very large portrait of Ewan was painted by famed Scottish painter John A. Horsburgh in 1882 and for many years hung in the private collections of Cluny Castle.
In 1943, the portrait was purchased by the museum at an auction held by Wyllie & Lockhead of Glasgow. It came onto the auction block from the contents of Cluny Castle and is now in the collection of the Clan Machpherson Museum in Newtonmore, Inverness-shire, Scotland.
Restoration was conducted by The Conservation Studio in Edinburgh, Scotland, and included thorough cleaning, adjusting of the canvas, filling of seal and texture losses, retouching, hole patching, and frame conservation.
2008, American Friends of British Art provided a supplemental grant to the restoration of this portrait in the amount of £430.00 GBP.